Saturday, December 15, 2007

The day i sold my things at Brick lane...

...i laid out my wares on a patch of land facing the Truman Brewery; i knew i would be leaving London, had far too many things i didnt need and little to no money.
It was a sunny day; i wore my peach summer hat, a white linen jacket and shared cigarettes with the nice Japanese couple a few stalls down. There was a Palestinian student on my right, a brilliant salesman with a quick quip and a cheeky grin, and to my left a couple of Chilean artists with a great selection of LPs.
The hours flew by, what with the travelling Samba drummers, tourists stopping to make small talk, take pictures, and the nice chap who bought me ice cream.
To speed up sales i had brought along my sketch book and put up a sign stating that i would draw a free sketch for anyone who spent more than a fiver at my stall. (alot to ask for considering i was pretty much selling junk) To emphasize the sales gimmick, i started sketching the brewery in front of me.



Before i could finish it the police turned up and we had to pack up and leave. I left with cash in hand, lighter bags and a poster on the wall stating 'Moving Home Sale! (London is too expensive) Please donate generously'. It had started to curl around the edges and looked like it would crumple into a heap at the foot of the wall any second. (sigh) good times...

No comments: